Join Our Team
Join our small but mighty team to make a real difference for the future of public transit in San Francisco and beyond!
We’re seeking a dynamic executive director with a love for public transit and the people who ride it. We need a strategic thinker who can lead a small but powerful advocacy group that represents the voice of the transit rider in San Francisco and advocates for effective change.
The successful candidate will have prior experience in achieving sustainable fundraising at a non-profit. They are politically savvy with a firm understanding of the complex transit and government landscape of San Francisco. They will work to grow an organization with a broad membership and broad funding base, run the day to day operations, and implement the current strategic plan with motivated and dedicated staff, volunteers, contractors, and board members.
- Fundraise and build long-term sustainable sources of funding for the organization.
- Maintain effective decision-making processes to achieve SFTR’s long- and short-term goals.
- Establish and deepen relationships to develop trust and confidence in SFTR and the work that we do.
- Represent transit riders and SFTR in interactions with city and regional government, other non-profits, and neighborhood groups.
- Supervise, support, and collaborate with a small staff and an engaged board to implement current strategic plan.
- Manage day-to-day operations and administrative systems including human resources, finances, and information technology.
With an unwavering determination, the executive director must share a firm conviction and sense of urgency in transforming transit in San Francisco. The individual we are looking for has a passion for and experience working in the areas of transit, urban advocacy, and other related subjects. They are comfortable in an early stage environment and have the vision and leadership skills to take the organization to the next level. Our members are passionate about transit and they enjoy the interaction of being part of SFTR. The right leader will leverage this social aspect of our work and create an engaging environment for members and volunteers.
Most importantly they have the entrepreneurial ability to build a sustainable funding stream. Despite the global pandemic, SFTR successfully increased its revenue in 2020 including an increase in membership donations. We need a leader who can sustain and grow this success.
In the past year, and despite COVID-19, SFTR has successfully expanded community organizing with staff focused on engaging a diversity of everyday transit riders throughout the city with specific focus on San Francisco areas with populations of concern and populations underserved by transit.
Skills we’re looking for
- 3-5 years of leadership experience in the nonprofit world, preferably with exposure to small, start-up organizations.
- Proven ability as a fundraiser for a non-profit.
- Demonstrated commitment to strengthening climate justice and equity.
- Experience managing employees and volunteers.
- Flexible and team-oriented approach to problem-solving.
- Excellence in planning and execution of events or initiatives.
- Experience with coalition building among non-profits and advocates.
- Strong time management and work planning skills.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to develop compelling narratives.
- Willingness to travel and work evenings and weekend events.
- Knowledge of San Francisco, Muni, San Francisco politics, and bilingual Spanish or Cantonese a plus.
If you are a steady, upbeat and organized leader who cares about transit and the vibrancy of cities, we hope you will consider joining SFTR. Position open until filled.
Salary Range: $75,000 – $80,000
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
San Francisco Transit Riders
P.O. Box 193341, San Francisco, CA 94119
© 2018 San Francisco Transit Riders, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit