San Francisco Transit Riders (SFTR) seeks a dynamic Executive Director with a love for public transit and the people who ride it. We need a strategic thinker who can lead a small but powerful advocacy group that represents the voice of the transit rider in San Francisco and advocates for effective change.
The successful candidate will have prior experience in achieving sustainable fundraising at a non-profit. They are politically savvy with a firm understanding of the complex transit and government landscape of San Francisco. They will work to grow an organization with a broad membership, run the day-to-day operations, and implement the current strategic plan with motivated and dedicated staff, volunteers, contractors, and board members.
- Fundraise and build long-term sustainable sources of funding for the organization.
- Represent transit riders and SFTR in interactions with city and regional government, other non-profits, and neighborhood groups.
- Establish and deepen relationships to develop trust and confidence in SFTR and the work that we do.
- Maintain effective decision-making processes to achieve SFTR’s long- and short-term goals.
- Supervise, support, and collaborate with a small staff and an engaged board to implement current strategic plan.
- Manage day-to-day operations and administrative systems including human resources, finances, and information technology.
With an unwavering determination, the Executive Director must share a firm conviction and sense of urgency in transforming transit in San Francisco. The individual we are looking for has a passion for and experience working in the areas of transit, urban advocacy, and other related subjects. They are comfortable in an early stage environment and have the vision and leadership skills to take the organization to the next level. Our members are passionate about transit and they enjoy the interaction of being part of SFTR. The right leader will leverage this social aspect of our work and create an engaging environment for members and volunteers.
Most importantly they have the entrepreneurial ability to build a sustainable funding stream. SFTR has grown its funding and budget dramatically over the past few years; we need a leader who can sustain and build on this success.
Skills we’re looking for:
- 3-5 years of leadership experience in the nonprofit world, preferably with exposure to small, start-up organizations.
- Proven ability as a fundraiser for a non-profit.
- Demonstrated commitment to strengthening climate justice and equity.
- Experience managing employees and volunteers.
- Flexible and team-oriented approach to problem-solving.
- Excellence in planning and execution of events or initiatives.
- Experience with coalition building among non-profits and advocacy.
- Strong time management and work planning skills.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to develop compelling narratives.
- Willingness to travel and work evening and weekend events.
- Knowledge of San Francisco, Muni, San Francisco politics, and bilingual Spanish or Cantonese a plus.
If you are a steady, upbeat and organized leader who cares about transit and the vibrancy of cities, we hope you will consider joining SFTR.
Salary range: $70,000/year – $80,000/year depending on experience.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. The position will be open until filled.
SFTR is the city’s member-supported, grassroots advocate for excellent, affordable, and growing public transit. We believe that empowering everyday transit riders to speak up for rider-first policies will bring us the world-class transit system we need for a livable, sustainable, and accessible San Francisco.
- We value rider-centric policies. We listen to riders; we lead with riders.
- We value equity. We advocate for affordable, dependable, frequent, safe, accessible public transit for the broadest population, with a consistent focus on equitable service and access.
- We value the pro-transit voice. We believe in the positive impact and potential of public transit.
- We value practicality. We look for short-term pragmatic solutions while pushing for a long-term vision and demanding accountability from our agencies and leaders.
- We value sustainability. Public transit is the most sustainable way for people to get around in a dense city. It promotes a vibrant economy and invests in the social good.
- We value a visionary approach to planning. We support thriving public transit systems that are innovative, inspirational, and growing.
- We value respect. We respect members, riders, and partners, even when we disagree. We have and teach empathy for others, and we acknowledge riders’ dignity.