Southeast Community Organizer
San Francisco Transit Riders is seeking an energetic and passionate community organizer to help expand transit reliability improvements across San Francisco. If you’re someone who loves public transit, this is your chance to raise the voice of transit riders to win robust improvements for all San Franciscans.
Hours & Pay:
Part time, 20 hours per week, $25/hr. Position will require some evening or weekend work.
San Francisco Transit Riders is a rider-based grassroots advocate for world-class transit in San Francisco. We advocate for excellent, affordable, and always growing public transit. We believe public transit is crucial for equity and access; for combating climate change; and for a livable, sustainable future.
San Francisco Transit Riders currently has a growing staff, an active Board, and dedicated volunteers. The Southeast Community Organizer role is designed to build grassroots support among riders, pedestrians, merchants and community groups for walkable streets and high-quality transit in Bayview Hunters Point, Visitacion Valley and the Excelsior.
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to:
Rider Organizing (70%)
- Conduct community outreach events to engage riders in the southeast part of San Francisco.
- Conduct a community needs assessment survey in partnerships with local community groups, building off the Bayview Community Based Transportation Plan.
- Cultivate individual relationships with riders and members to encourage them to advocate, volunteer, and become members of SFTR.
- Organize & train community members and riders to advocate for transit priorities at City Hall, SFMTA, the Board of Supervisors and other relevant forums.
- In coordination with the communications team, create compelling, informative and multilingual talking points, visual tools, and presentations relevant to communities that empower transit riders to understand their value as advocates.
- Listen to and document the stories and experiences of riders to report back to staff and Board, to better inform SFTR policy, fundraising and public narrative.
Community Partnerships (20%)
- Establish and build on existing relationships with community-based organizations, local businesses and neighborhood groups in Southeast San Francisco.
- Articulate community partner priorities and concerns to SFTR staff, SFMTA and other relevant stakeholders.
- Engage community partners around key transit issues & SFTR campaigns.
Organization and Admin (10%)
- Maintain SFTR database with contact information for organizations and individuals.
- Track and report on organizing outcomes and goals to staff and the Board of Directors.
- Participate in organization-wide campaigns and programs as needed.
Skills we’re looking for:
- Deep roots in San Francisco, particularly in Bayview Hunters Point.
- Experience organizing communities around public interest issues such as transit, urban living, or other related areas
- Passion for improving transit and walkability, and familiarity with Muni (you ride transit!)
- Good people skills and confidence to reach out to new communities, including cultural competency to work with marginalized communities
- An ability to take initiative while also working as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Written and/or conversational fluency in Spanish or Cantonese a plus
- Knowledge of San Francisco politics and decision making processes a plus
- Knowledge of how racial, housing, environmental, economic, and transit justice issues intersect a plus