The SF Transit Riders are working to create excellent public transit that attracts a growing number of passengers for a more livable city. Join us and help shape the future of world-class transit in San Francisco!
San Francisco Transit Riders is seeking an energetic and passionate community organizer to help expand transit reliability and pedestrian safety improvements across San Francisco. If you’re someone who loves public transit, this is your chance to raise the voice of transit riders (who are also pedestrians) to win robust improvements for all San Franciscans.
20 hours/week. Position may require some evening or weekend work. Please note this position is grant funded for one year, with potential to extend based on organizational growth.
San Francisco Transit Riders is a rider-based grassroots advocate for world-class transit in San Francisco. We are current and future riders united to achieve excellent, affordable and growing public transit.
San Francisco Transit Riders currently has a growing staff, an active Board and dedicated volunteers. We have received a year-long grant with our allies at Walk San Francisco to develop new advocacy and organizing methods for closely interrelated walking and transit projects. You will report to the SFTR Executive Director and work closely with Walk SF staff to build grassroots support among riders, pedestrians, merchants and community groups for walkable streets and high-quality transit.
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to:
- Campaign Strategy: Develop plans to empower community members to speak up both as transit riders and pedestrians.
- Research: Identify best practices and emerging tools for transit advocacy, as well as cross-modal advocacy (transit + walking).
- Advocacy: Implement strategies that bring the voices of transit riders and pedestrians to decision-makers effectively.
- Outreach: Create compelling and informative talking points, visual tools, and presentations relevant to community that knit transit riders and pedestrians together and help both groups understand their value as advocates.
- Organizing: Research groups and individuals to target for outreach and introduce our organization to these people to gain their participation. Organize transit riders to campaign for needed improvements.
Skills we’re looking for:
- Passion for improving transit and walkability, and familiarity with Muni (you ride transit!)
- Good people skills and confidence to reach out to new communities, including cultural competency to work with marginalized communities
- An ability to take initiative while also working as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Written and/or conversational fluency in Spanish or Cantonese a plus
- Knowledge of San Francisco politics and decision making processes a plus
- Knowledge of how racial, housing, economic, and transit justice issues intersect a plus
If you are an upbeat organizer who cares about the vibrancy of cities we hope you will consider joining the San Francisco Transit Riders.
Compensation: $25/hour for 20 hours a week.
Application deadline: Please submit your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31, 2018.